The US star says her heart is “very much still there” with the people of Manchester after being made an “honorary Mancunian”.
The singer was given the award after her response to the terror attack at her gig at the Manchester Arena.
Councillors unanimously accepted a proposal for the star to be the first recipient in a new system recognising people who have made an outstanding contribution to the city without living in it.
Following the suicide bomb attack at her show at Manchester Arena in May, the 23-year-old singer organised the ONE LOVE MANCHESTAR concert just two weeks later, with numerous other stars, including Katy Perry, Justin Bieber and Coldplay, and Manchester’s own Liam Gallagher, taking to the stage in tribute to the victims.
The concert has so far raised almost £3 million for the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.
In a message posted on her Instagram page, Ariana Grande said: ” I don’t know what to say. Words don’t suffice. I’m moved and honoured.
“My heart is very much still there. I love you.”
Manchester City Council leader Sir Richard Leese said Grande had “exemplified” the “resilient and compassionate way in which the city, and all those associated with it, have responded to the terrible events of 22 May – with love and courage rather than hatred and fear”.
The suggested proposal was discussed in detail at a council meeting on Wednesday, attended by family members of some of the victims.
“Manchester continues to move forwards with strength, spirit and its trademark swagger. But we will never forget the terrible events of 22 May and their aftermath,” said Sir Richard.